The “Witter House” on Main Street (“Hauptstraße”) was built in the early 18th century on the ruins of an old Franciscan monastery. Rumour has it that the house, like many other buildings in the historic city center, was built with stones stolen from Heidelberg Castle. We don’t know whether that’s true or not, but we do know that the first tenant was a baker, so the house served as a bakery for almost two hundred years. In 1919, Hermann Witter, who gave the building its name, decided that he’d had enough from getting up early and converted the ground floor into a wine tavern. That’s how the “Altdeutsche Weinstube Hermann Witter” was born and became a popular hangout spot, family-run until Hermann’s daughter-in-law Friedlinde passed away in 2006.
Empty and unattended for almost ten years, the current owners renovated the entire building from 2014-2016, paying special attention to historic detail and keeping the tavern (almost) the same what it used to be back in the days. Since late 2015, Mo Zati and his team have been breathing new life into these ancient walls, happily serving their patrons with food and drinks, just like the Witters used to do.
Mo Zati and his team (well-known among locals for their former restaurant “Le Coq” across the river) look forward to your visit at Rouge.